Our latest cybersecurity post, courtesy of The SANS Institute, discusses why you could be a target for cybercrime and how you can protect yourself from falling victim.
The advent of the internet has allowed criminals to target more people with less risk. The reality is that anyone with a computer, mobile device, credit cards, email address or engaging in online activities could be a target.
Consider these tips to keep yourself safe online:
- Many cybercrimes occur when hackers are trying to trick you into opening a fraudulent email or sending personal information for a false request. Use common sense, if it seems suspicious or too good to be true, it probably is.
- Make sure your systems are up-to-date. This can help prevent the most common attacks.
- Use a strong and unique password. Also, consider implementing different passwords for each account. It’s easy to remember just one, but if that’s compromised then all your accounts will be compromised!
- Don’t ignore those financial statements. Check them weekly to be on the lookout for anything suspicious.
- Make sure your home network is secure. Read this post for tips to insure you’re safe when online at home: “How secure is your home network?”
- When using social media, be mindful of what you post. Sharing too much could make you a more likely target.
Check out the following link for more specifics on staying safe online: https://www.sans.org/sites/default/files/newsletters/ouch/issues/OUCH-201404_en.pdf