Questions to Ask Your Financial Advisor
Written by: Emily Franco, CFP® | Financial Advisor
What to Know Before Meeting With a Financial Advisor
Deciding to work with a financial advisor is a big decision. After all, they’ll be in charge of managing your personal finances and long-term investment strategy. What you do with your money impacts your future.
You want to make sure you’ll be working with a professional that will help guide you towards your goals.
Questions to Ask a Potential Financial Advisor
Whether your goal is wealth-building or portfolio management, there are several questions you should ask a potential financial advisor. Here are four key questions to consider:
1. What is their experience or focus: When you decide to trust a financial advisor with your finances, you want to make sure they’re experienced, especially in the strategies that interest you. Figure out what their specialty is and whether or not it aligns with your goals.
2. What financial services they offer: With countless financial services from mutual funds to target-date funds, be sure to ask potential advisors which ones they offer.
3. What is their investment philosophy and strategy: A financial advisor’s investment philosophy and approach will influence how they manage your money and investment portfolio. Therefore, you want to choose an advisor that shares your style.
4. How can they help you reach your long-term goals: While you most likely have short-term goals, you want to choose an advisor who will help you reach your long-term goals as well. An advisor should be willing to listen and learn about your needs and overall vision and help you tailor your portfolio to achieve those goals.
How to Evaluate Your Current Financial Advisor
Do you currently have a financial advisor? There are several different questions you can ask yourself to determine whether or not they’re the best fit:
- Do they work based on fees or your financial interests and goals?
- Are they consistently communicating with you and keeping you up-to-date on your investments?
- Are they adapting your portfolio to keep up with your changing needs over time?
- Are you moving towards your goal for the future?
Talk to a Financial Advisor Today
At Fort Pitt Capital Group, we’ve been helping our clients reach their financial planning, wealth management, and investment analysis goals for over 20 years. We deliver personalized results and focus on doing what’s best for each client.
For additional information about Fort Pitt, including who we are and what we do, please refer to our Relationship Summary. This important document contains information about our services, our people, how we get paid, and additional “Questions You Should Ask Us” to get you started.
About the Author:
Emily Franco, CFP®
Fort Pitt Capital Group, LLC
680 Andersen Drive, Pittsburgh, PA 15220
(412) 921-1822 | email@example.com